Pat Denison Mixed-Media
Pat Custer Denison has been making her living from art since her training in painting and printmaking at the University of Michigan (1966-1970). Pat married her high school sweetheart, Chip Denison, in 1970 and has lived happily ever after. In 1990 Chip joined Pat in the studio to also work full time in art. They make a good team, Pat with her design abilities, and Chip the perfect facilitator with years of experience in the building trades.
In 1998 the Denison's moved to their Up North Michigan home/studio with their 19-year-old Amazon parrot, Dandelion, as their only studio help. Pat designed their new home and studio and Chip built the complex. In between finishing the house, and creating artwork, they make time to bicycle, kayak, hike, swim and garden. Pat is an enthusiastic digital photographer and is hoping to get back to her printmaking roots by doing some combination prints/photos.
Pat started painting ceramic tiles and firing them in 1975 because of a love for the wonderful rich ceramic colors. The addition of Chip’s woodworking skills has been put to use with elaborate carved wood frames and three-dimensional elements. The combination of the textures and embellishments of the wood, with the free form shapes, sets off the grid of the tiles and the shine of the glazes.
The Denison's do an annual tile series of 6"x 8" tiles (13 new designs each year). This enthusiastically anticipated series might be seen (and mail ordered) through their annual brochure. Pat will be happy to send you one. You are also welcome to visit the Denison's at their studio on Saturdays, May 10 thru Nov. 1. They can’t be in two places at once, so will be closed on various art fair weekends.2007
* APRIL 27, 28, 29, From Women’s Hands Hagerty Center, Front Street Traverse City, MI
* JUNE 1, 2, 3, Summerfair Cincinnati, OH Call to confirm
* JUNE 23, 24, Highland Park Fine Craft Highland Park,, IL
* JULY 14, 15, Krasl Art Fair St. Joseph, MI
* AUGUST 11, Charlevoix Waterfront Fair Charlevoix, MI
* SEPTEMBER 3, Art in the Village Franklin, MI Labor Day, Mon
* Rubini’s, Benzonia, MI
* Gallery at 890, Port Sanilac, MI
* Michigan Artists Gallery, Suttons Bay, MI
* The Cycling Salamander, Charlevoix, MI
* Studio 23,the store, Bay City, MI
* Carolina Creations, New Bern, N.C.
* Joan of Art, Minneapolis, MN
* The Dancing Sheep, Cleveland, OH